Monday, August 10, 2009

On the subject of Migrants...

I just remembered the book, "Cajas de carton" relatos de la vida peregrina de un nino campesino. It's a series of stories/ memoirs by Francisco Jimenez about his life growing up in the migrant camps in mainly California, I believe. It's a short read, 123 pages. I believe it's set in the late 40's early 50's, but still applicable, I'd think. It might have been written in English and then translated to Spanish. The version I have is in Spanish. It's a moving book.

2 comments:

  1. Of course! That's the book I was trying to think of. I have read it as well (in Spanish), which seems to have been translated from the original English version ("The Circuit: Stories from the Life of a Migrant Child") in 2000. It really does have an interesting first hand perspective on the labor camps of that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tremendous, thanks! I just reserved the book from the library...

    ReplyDelete