Thursday, September 10, 2009

Home Sweet Home

With so many people losing their homes during the Great Depression, many were forced to create temporary shelter to protect themselves from the elements, using whatever materials they could find.

"Shelters were made of almost every conceivable thing - burlap, canvas, palm branches." - a California minister's report of a labor camp in the Imperial Valley. We have seen photographs of shacks made from cardboard, framed paintings on canvas, crate boxes, doors...

Unfortunately, this kind of housing was the norm for the migrant labor camps where itinerant farm workers lived, from one farm to the next. For more information, read: Picture This: The Depression Era, published the by the Oakland Museum of California.

These shacks have served as the inspiration for our scenic design by Drew Foster; they are sad images of poverty and yet resourceful testaments to the will to survive.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Air Jordan shoes, glad you visited!
    The blog template is free, thanks to www.blogspot.com ~ there are several from which to choose. I don't know if it's downloadable, but you could sign up for blogspot!
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope this material will help me to write my report. I've improved my style of thinking thanks to your technique. This quote gives food for the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is emotionally, I was happy to see your blog, I hope you have a more big gain and development!

    ReplyDelete
  4. html - lehenga saree
    I very much to like and agree with your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please let me know if you’re looking for a author for your weblog. You have some really great articles and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Kudos! auto scanner

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the ability to automatically feed your blog into your email newsletter. However, is there a way to easily add custom content to each blast. In my email blasts, I would like to not only include the recent post on the blog, but some additional call to action.
    caterpiller adaper 3 bluetooth

    ReplyDelete